Monday, March 23, 2009

Post Break

I'm finally back home after 2200 miles of driving, 2 races, 22 sandwiches, 1 go kart race and 400+ miles of training. This is going down as my best spring break ever! I'll try to summarize the last couple days of break.


Tuesday was the first MTB ride of the year. It's so nice to ride on dirt again!
Wednesday was Cherohala Skyway- 100 miles. Logged the first century of the year with almost 9000 feet of climbing in a little under 6 hours. I don't know if it was my brain not fully functioning from it's lack of oxygen but I got the bright idea to roll back home for the last 30 or so miles with the "Pain Train". I once again survived and managed to stick with the group with the exception of the 2 major climbs. My legs were getting pretty tired but managed to keep spinning. Wednesday night was Guayabitos; our one meal out as a group. The margaritas were pretty good and the special dinner was enough to feed a small horse. There was a mustache contest over break which was hilarious with Cassey "the man beast" winning of course. Thunderdome was after dinner and off the hook as usual. I managed to not be challenged so I got to sit back and enjoy the matches.

Thursday was another MTB ride for a couple hours. I rode solo for most of the ride to take it all in and have a little alone time. I really wish we had trails like that back home here! It was good to get one last ride in on ole blue before I sell her. Friday was a travel day to Notre Dame for some racing action. Seth, Addison and myself rolled out at noon and managed to turn a 10 hour drive into a 12. We stopped to race some go-karts, eat 3 times and anything else along the way that looked interesting. Saturday was the first race of the year. 70 miles on a 10 mile loop with a couple sections of road with holes big enough to swallow a bike whole. I suited up with the Men's A field to give it a go after a long week of training. The legs felt ok and I sat in for 2 laps. I forgot my brain once again and didn't play it smart tactically towards the end of lap 2. To make a long story short I managed to make a break, and then ride myself right out of the race right after haha. Addison, Seth and myself proceeded to tour every campus in South Bend (7 or so) in the car and eat more Chinese food then we thought we could (16 plates and ice cream).


Sunday was the crit with no corners and 2 rollers. I surprised myself and finished with the pack after 70 minutes of constant attacking between the Lindsey Wilson and Marian teams. I stayed up front and out of trouble and even contributed a little work to a few of the chases.


All in all this spring break was nothing short of amazing and I would do it all over again tomorrow if I could. Now it's time to make the last push in the semester for 7 weeks.



It's also time to sell off a few bikes to make room for new ones! My cross bike and mountain bike are both for sale at this point in time. I'm asking $1500 for the cross bike and $2200 for the mountain OBO for both.

No comments: