Friday, January 23, 2009

San Francisco Day 1

The awesome adventures of Bill and Brendan loose in San Francisco have begun! So far the trip has been “off the hook” in Cali terms. We barely made it to the airport after having to change cars last minute. To top off having to change cars we got pulled over for speeding on the way and let off with a warning. The flight in Milwaukee was delayed a half hour due to some maintenance issues leaving us with an even shorter layover time. We literally sprinted across 3 concourses in O’Hare and boarded the plane 3 minutes before they closed the doors. Waiting at the baggage claim had us worried for a little bit but our luggage made both flights to keep the streak alive.
The first thing you should do when you get to San Francisco is enjoy a bowl of chowder down on Fisherman’s Wharf.

Brendan and I spent the next couple hours checking out the wharf and all the museums around the area. The authentic chocolate waffle cone and ice cream from Ghirardelli’s was nothing short of stellar. Treasure Island and Berkley’s campus made for some pretty sweet sightseeing. AT&T Stadium (home of the Giants) was pretty cool to walk around, especially when the sun was finally starting to break through the rain covering the Bay Area. The entire Bay Area’s topography is a cyclists dream or nightmare depending upon how you look at it. Roads go from slightly rising to 20+ % in a matter of a couple feet. My friend Ben’s house is located in the “hills” of Oakland. I can’t wait to see what they call a mountain out here if a super tight switchback covering well over 1000 vertical feet is just a hill. I think I’m going to find out what I’m really made of when I go for a ride later today with Ben around the area. The camera has been getting a work out too so I’ll leave you with some of its work.

I’ll try to post again later tonight with more pictures and stories from day.

1 comment:

The Shed Master said...

I just know you're there to visit Castro Street.