Thursday, January 8, 2009

Put me in coach

Sunday was my first time back on the bike in 3 weeks. It may not sound like a long time but to some it's a lifetime. I was growing rather restless not riding on two wheels and couldn't take it anymore. 3 weeks of next to no real activity left me feeling like I was on the bench all season. 2009 cross training is in full swing, I rode the rollers for an hour and a half to start things off right.

Along with training comes eating right. I had the privilege of eating some amazing home made Thai food right after with some new friends. I could get used to eating like that all the time. The entire group of people I ate with are signed up for some form or another of the Birkie in February. With all the talk of skiing and the Birke I picked up some skate skis from the shop to give it a whirl. Brian and myself went skiing Wednesday morning for about an hour to get used to the motions again. It was a little rough for the first lap till I got my legs under me. I actually felt pretty good the second lap and managed to keep it upright for the rest of the outing. I would say pretty good for my 3rd time skiing ever. I thought wearing a HR monitor might be kinda cool to get some numbers for my first time out skiing, lets just say some of the numbers were through the roof! Skiing could prove to be a better workout than I originally thought which is fine by me. I had enough fun to go out again later that night for another hour with the Nagodes and Doc Ries. I don't know if I'm going to take Doc's words of encouragement and do the full Birke but I might get stupid enough to do the Kortelopet. To top things off I'm not in a world of pain today, in fact I am only a little sore for skiing over 2 hours my first time out this year. Who know this Kortelopet thing might actually be doable.

No comments: