Thursday, November 6, 2008

My first Iceman

2008 will mark my 3rd time racing the Iceman in the last 4 years. It all started in 2005 driving the trusty Hyundai Santa Fe team car around the the top of Lake Michigan to Traverse City, Michigan. I made the trip with Tristan and Brian leaving relatively early for the 8 hour drive. Being the rookie at the time I really had no clue what I was about to get myself into. This was my first year of racing the Triple Crown races and was still new to racing against 2000 people all at the same time. I stayed pretty quiet for the drive listening to Brian talk about the race and how many years he's raced there. We made it to Kalkaska where the race starts just in time to get a little pre-ride in on the course before dark. It wasn't much but it was better than nothing as we rode around pretty much in the dark.

After the ride we loaded up the car and drove over to Traverse Bay where we were staying in a friend's lake house. Brian was driving the car up to what we thought was the house we were staying in right on the bay when he drives off the gravel road onto the sandy beach. The car didn't have a chance and dug in instantly!

After a couple attempts to dig the car out we had to call Triple A to pull us out. Not the greatest start to the weekend but the house was right there. Around 11 we finally get a look at the house. The place looked exactly like an IKEA store with all the designer furniture and appliances. After a quick look around the place it was off to bed for my early start. Brian and Tristan were racing the Pro race later in the afternoon so they got to sleep in.


I woke up early and made myself some breakfast before driving over to Kalkaska again. 8am starts blow as I soon came to find out. A quick warm up before lining up on the start line in the first wave of the day.


Here's a picture of me early in the race. I was not looking this happy at the end to say the least but I survived my first Iceman. Shortly after I finished I drove back to the start to catch Brian and Tristan's start. Here is a picture of them at the finish showing the stacked field of local and National talent. Tristan had a good day and finished on the podium with Doug Swanson and Adam Craig taking the win.

After the awards banquet it was off to the bars. The Bells Beer team hosts an annual end of the year party somewhere in downtown Traverse City. I heard Brian and Tristan talking about some sort of party bus that shows up to the party and was a little intrigued by this point. Adam Craig showed up to the bar with the famous ice trophy that's chiseled every year and the party was on! Beer was consumed, memories were shared and ridiculous dancing was done by all. The party bus lived up to its name with a built in bar and stereo system rocking out in the alley next to the bar.





2007's Iceman proved to be much of the same with Brian winning the race this time around and another sweet party bus appearance. Next post comes from 2008's Iceman!!!

1 comment:

TheBrothersChase said...

nice there billy boy...see your punkass down there