Saturday, May 16, 2009

Iola Bump and Jump

Sorry for the delay on this write up. This being my 1 week of true summer vacation before summer classes I should have lots of time. Lots of time to do every other project on the never ending list that is.

The first mtb race of the season is in the books and can be put behind me finally. I put a lot of pressure on myself to perform and was more interested in a result than anything else. I was hoping to either win the comp race or finish in the top 10. I've decided this is the year that I want to stick to a training regiment and see where I can take my racing while still in school. My base training is complete and I would consider it my best and most complete base to date. I'm a little disappointed with my overall result from Sunday but my time back wasn't too bad. I know what I have to work on now and will definitely rebound for the next race.

I lined it up front row on the right side with Matt Muraski and we went 1-2 over the top of the lead out climb with a couple second gap. We kept the gas on and went 1-2 over the top of the climb after the bowl too. I felt really good and was thinking to myself this was going really well. It was at this point that Matt blew up pretty hard and 1 guy caught and passed us on the flats. I had to leave Matt and tried to chase but didn't want to blow up too early. The rest of the race went a lot like this with 1 or 2 guys passing me after I put in a hard effort and unable to latch on to a wheel. I felt fast on the flats and a little dogish on the power climbs where it seemed I was always on the rivet by the top. All in all a good first race to a long season. My average and peak heart rate numbers are a little higher than years past which is progress. See you all at Rhinelander, be ready to thrown down!

Thanks to Mountain Goat for the picture.

No comments: