Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Lake Geneva and Chequamegon recap

The last 2 race weekends have been a little bit of a roller coaster but nothing I didn't already expect. I'm going to call both weekends a sucess on the road back to my early season fitness and speed. The month of August was lack luster at best in the riding department so the last 2 race weekends probably hurt more than they should have. Wors #10 Lake Geneva was really good for the first 2 laps. Awsome start in the top 15 and moving up into the top 10 and staying there for the first 2 laps left me pretty pumped and knowing I still have some snap. It was the next 2 laps that it fell apart by missing a feed and not eating enough. I was determined to keep it going even though I knew I was pretty dehydrated and feeling an awsome bonk looming. It didn't take but half a lap for both to pretty much hit me all at once and slowed my pace to what felt like a crawl. I can honestly say I have not pushed myself that hard after feeling the bonk coming in a couple years and I'm glad I did. It's good to feel where your limits are and be able to mentally and physically keep pushing. Needless to say I did not finish in the top 15 much less 30 but pushed my way to the finish slow but sure.

Yesterday was the Chequamegon Fat 40 which proved to be another roller coaster of a race. I warmed up Friday afternoon with Tristan and Brian after making the 5 hour trek. My legs felt surprisingly good and only got better as we rode. I'm not sure how to explain how your legs can feel amazing one day and so flat the next. Another awsome start in the top 40 across rosies field only to watch my placing slowly drop as the clock ticked away. The feeling of never being able to get rolling or being able to push it was what happened. I'd be able to ride with a group for a couple minutes and then I'd have no snap to hang on when an acceleration came. The time I posted was actually within my goal range but far from where I wanted to place. All in all I still had fun and managed to finish with a smile. Congrats to Brian for notching another win in his belt for this year and keeping the hopes of a triple crown repeat alive!
Next up is some serious switching of gears. USGP Madison this coming weekend. It's a real shame I'm going to missout on riding this by a matter of days!


Especially considering I have all of these to put on the bike!

No comments: